Sunday, July 5, 2020

Instars

I don't have a Backyard Bug of the Day today, because there was nothing that was eligible and worthy, so instead, here's the most dramatic bug picture I took today:
Tarnished plant bug on grass seed head

How about Backyard Baby Bunny of the Day:

Other Bugs:
I found an adult lace bug, and though it might be good to compare the adult to the nymphs, so I went and found the nymphs again...

In some ways it's hard to believe that they are the same kind of insect, but in other ways you can see how that is what they become:
Different instars. I am not sure how this works out, that there are nymphs of clearly different developmental stages all hanging out together.


This kind of sums up how my day of bug photography went. Can you see the really cool dragonfly?

I am not sure specifically what kind of beetle this is, but it is one of those that other people tend to hate, but I think are adorable.



Damselfly

Stinkbug nymph that has recently moulted into a new instar. You can see its discarded exuvia above it in the picture. I think that the rather garish colors are because it just molted, and it will tone down a little bit as its new exoskeleton hardens.

Moth on milkweed

Tarnished plant bugs

Katydid nymph

Cabbage white butterfly

Egg that I still have not been able to identify

I think this is a tachinid fly.














No comments:

Post a Comment