Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Bumblebees and Beetles

My mind is a blank. I am too tired to think. Whatever interesting thing I had to say about my bug walk today (which happened in stages, between rain showers) has gone completely out of my head.
Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
A flower beetle. On the most popular flower in my backyard right now.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
I think these are white flies. They are really tiny, so small that when I see one I always have to look at it through my camera lens to even know if it's an insect or just a speck of something. These were unusually cooperative; usually it's hard to get a photo of one. And there were a fair number of them on this sapling.


I tried to resist the urge to take pictures of bumblebees on the milkweed today, with little success:
Bumblebee and beetles. Those were the two big categories in the milkweed patch today. But there were other kinds of bugs, too.



Sharpshooter

Thick-headed fly

Plant bug

I went to check on the swallowtail caterpillar, and I found one on the sassafras tree where it was the last couple of days, but the folded leaf where I though it had hidden itself yesterday was still folded. So, there's a few possibilities: 1. There's more than one swallowtail caterpillar on that sapling. 2. There's something else inside the folded leaf. 3. It was able to crawl out of the folded leaf somehow, leaving it folded.
The false eye spots often make me forget that that is not the caterpillar's actual head, that the head is usually tucked out of view. Here's a rare glimpse of it.



I wondered if early instar swallowtail caterpillars have an osmeterium, and found out that yes, they do:
The osmeterium is a weird defensive organ that it extends when it is distressed. It looks like a forked tongue, and apparently smells bad, though I have never been close enough to experience that aspect of it.



I found a clutch of eggs:
Stinkbug eggs

There were two eggs that were open, and two stinkbug nymphs on the leaf with them.

They must be at least a few days old, because it's hard to believe they would fit in one of those eggs. I don't know why two of them would hatch days before the others, though.

Katydid nymph

Wasp
 It has damaged wings. I did not see it try to fly, so I don't know whether it could.




No comments:

Post a Comment