Sunday, February 23, 2020

What Do Bugs Want?

In one week it will be spring. Meteorological spring, anyway. And the world is waking up:
 These daffodils have been sheltered under the leaf litter all winter, and are quite advanced.

 The trees, of course, have had their buds all ready to burst forth since the fall. It's not quite time for the bursting, though.

I thought, being sunny and in the 50s, that today there would be a plethora of bugs out enjoying the spring-like weather. But I was wrong. It seems that after all these years of studying the bugs in my backyard, I still don't understand them, and why they do what they do, and when they can be expected to do it. So, here's what I found...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Plant bug of some kind

And these:
On such a mild, sunny day I expected the candy striped leaf hoppers' favorite tree to be replete with hoppers, but I was mistaken. I found only a few.

I saw only a couple of snow fleas, too. After my bug walk I went off into the woods to work on a new trail, and I did see more bugs there: a few stoneflies, several ants, and a spider. But I didn't see any winter fireflies basking in the spring-like winter sunshine. Puzzling...

No comments:

Post a Comment