Monday, September 30, 2019

Sulphurous

It was a rule-breaking kind of day. I chased a butterfly, and I am posting a picture that is not very good for Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a clouded sulphur butterfly. There are a couple of sulphur butterflies that look very similar, and since I didn't get good pictures it's hard for me to be sure about the identification, but that's the one that seems right to me.

 I rarely see sulphurs in my backyard, and not just because they blend in well, like this one is here.



I didn't find many bugs today, but on the bright side, what I did find, though nothing new, was not the same things I have been seeing every day (although I did see a lot of bees, crickets, and grasshoppers). Other Bugs:
 Daily banded tussock moth caterpillar

Geometer Moth:


Spotted cucumber beetle:


 Tortoise beetle

 Fun fact: if you Google "fly that looks like it has stars on its wings," this is not what comes up. But I feel like it should be. Since that didn't work, I made the effort of reaching for my books, because I was sure this was in one of them, and it is, as I thought, a fruit fly, Eutreta noveboracencis.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Flower crab spider

No comments:

Post a Comment