Thursday, September 12, 2019

More Than Expected

Some days it's hard to know what to say about my backyard and the things I see in it, and today is one of those days. So all I'll say is, how in the world did I manage to take 377 photos out there today?

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 The caterpillar I saw yesterday. I got better pictures today. My attempt to identify it was inconclusive. It looks like a prominent of some kind.



During my bug walk today I didn't feel like I was seeing a lot of bugs, but when I was loading the pictures for this post I realized that I did see rather a lot. Here are all the Other Bugs:
 Two candy striped leaf hoppers. Do you see the second one?

 The weird thing is still there. I am beginning to think it's just part of the plant.

 I believe this is the first of the two smaller parasa caterpillars that I found last week. This is the one that had some kind of parasite egg on it, but I don't know if that is what caused this.

The contracted datanas were somewhat spread out on their branch today, the same one from yesterday evening:
 When I found them today they were all quite still, none of the synchronized twitching I have seen them do before. And it didn't look like any of them were spitting up liquid. But then...

 I am beginning to think this is a defense mechanism, because these two started doing it when I got close, and then a bunch of others started doing it, and twitching. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any information about this, in my book or online.

 Wasp

 Male scorpionfly

 Hover fly

 Woolly bear caterpillar

 Stinkbug nymph

 It looks like the population of aphids that this ant has been tended to has increased quite a bit.


 You wouldn't know it from this blog, but I have been seeing a lot of crane flies lately, of a variety of species. They have been extremely camera shy.

And today I managed to get pictures of two!

 Bumblebee

 Sawfly larva

 Leaf hopper nymps

 Fly

It is very difficult to get a good picture of a spotted cucumber beetle:



 Assassin bug

 Some kind of tachinid fly, I think.

Caterpillar dangling from a thread, looking like it's dancing as it climbs up:


 

The former vegetable garden is a nice big patch of weeds, or wildflowers, from my point of view, and if you stand near it you will eventually see katydids hopping around:



 

 There are other insects in there, too, mostly crickets, but today I spotted this looper caterpillar.

 Sawfly larvae

 Tree cricket

A couple of spotted apatelodes caterpillars:

 

 Stinkbug nymph

 This stinkbug has been on the same cluster of hazelnuts for the last four days. Well, today was its last day; I harvested the hazelnuts.

 Yet another stinkbug nymph

 Fall webworms in their web

Fall webworm

 Mating pair of flies. I believe the large one is the female.

 Moth

 Twice-stabbed lady beetle

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Nursery web spider

 
 Crab spider feeding on a moth

 

 
 I don't think I have ever seen the underside of this spider species before.

 
 I found another of this species, missing 3 of its legs on one side.

 
 Mite

 
 Flower crab spider on goldenrod






No comments:

Post a Comment