Sunday, September 1, 2019

Lonely Evening

I did my bug walk in the evening, and there wasn't much to see. Not enough crepuscular insects.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Hopper nymph of some kind. Note the drop of honeydew.

I don't know how eastern tiger swallowtail caterpillars ever manage to grow into butterflies. They never seem to do anything but sit in one place. This one has been in the same spot for about a week:


 Aphids

 Candy striped leaf hopper

 Banded tussock moth and crickets

 I don't know if these are different species, or different sexes of the same species.

 New-to-me caterpillar. If I'd been able to get a better picture it might be BBotD. Maybe I will be able to find it tomorrow.

 After a period of time when they seemed to be everywhere, lately I have not seen many hover flies. I found this one today just sitting on a twig.

 These are the insects the ants have been guarding on that one plant. They are finally adults, but the ants are still tending to them (there's one just outside of this shot). I think they might be toad hoppers.

 Banded tussock moth caterpillar

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Nursery web spider

No comments:

Post a Comment