Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Scarcity

The last couple of days I haven't found many bugs, maybe because it's been a little bit colder, so today's find for Backyard Bug of the Day was particularly surprising.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Sharpshooter. Definitely not something I expect to see this time of year. It was down on the rocks by the street, which is a warmer area of the yard. In fact, all of my pictures that I am posting today were taken down there.

Other than that, I saw some winter fireflies, and a winter stone fly (it wouldn't sit still for a picture), and an ant that was hurrying too fast for me to take its picture. That's all. The wingless moths, which were still around yesterday and the day before, were gone, and I didn't see anything that looked like an egg mass on that tree. Even the snowfleas were scarce–places where a few days ago I saw a hundred only had a few today. I don't know why there weren't more bugs around; yes, it was colder than a few days ago, but it was still in the 40s. There weren't even any candy striped leaf hoppers, though it was sunny.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment