Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Back in the Backyard

Hello again, Bug Fans. I am sorry for the lack of posts for the last few weeks. It was not because there were no bugs in my backyard, it was because I was not in my backyard. I had to go away unexpectedly, so I missed whatever was going on out there, although I would guess for the most part it was more or less what has been going on for the last couple of months. After all, most of what I saw today when I did my bug walk were the same things I have been seeing. However, despite the snow on the ground (we had our biggest snowfall of the season while I was away, enough that though the temperature has been above freezing ever since, the snow is still around), I found something unexpected today.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I usually see one of these beetles on the stone steps out front early in the spring, so this one was right on time.

Also on the front steps, a lot of snow fleas:
 For some time they have been out on one particular stone; today they had expanded their territory to another stone as well, and there were more than there have been.



It was sunny for most of the day, and got close to 50ºF, so there were a few candy striped leaf hoppers out:

 Can you see both of them in this shot?

 Here's the second one.

I saw this winter firefly on the ground near the base of a tree. I usually see them on tree trunks, but I think they lay their eggs on the ground, so maybe that's what this one was down there for:

No comments:

Post a Comment