Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Sublime

The reason for the lack of posts this week is a lack of bugs: the temperature has been too cold for them. It has been in the 30sF during the days, and much colder at night, and the last time I did a bug walk I didn't find anything (except that one winter firefly that has not moved in weeks). So, I haven't done one in a few days, because it hasn't been any warmer (this is about 15ºF colder than normal for this time of year).

Probably the most telling demonstration of what it's been like is this:
 
 We had a dusting of snow one day last week, and by the afternoon all the snow in sunny spots had melted, but it stuck around in shady areas. Well, the snow in the shady areas is still there. A lot of it is gone, but I am beginning to think that what is gone is more due to sublimation (evaporation from a solid straight to a vapor) than melting.

 Also, there is still a LOT of needle ice. There is a great deal of it under the moss in some areas of the yard, and it has lifted the moss up; you can't see the ice, but the moss is lumpy, and if you step on it, you break the ice underneath, and it's a weird walking experience.

 The thing is, though, I could see insects flying around outside the windows today, so I knew they were out there and active, so I did a bug walk even though it was only 38ºF.
 I saw a few crane flies (which is what I had seen flying).

 An aphid

And that one winter firefly.

The first day of winter is in a week. All I want is to return to normal temperatures, which for this time of year are not this cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment