Thursday, December 6, 2018

Chilly Caterpilly

Today I found the first bug of my bug walk as soon as I stepped outside the back door. I didn't find another until I was almost ready to go back into the house (other than a winter firefly that has been sitting in the same spot for weeks). Yes, it was cold–it was 40ºF when I went out, and 38ºF when I went back in, but I think that only makes it more surprising that I found what I found. It's not at all surprising that I didn't find much at all.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Caterpillar, walking around on the stone steps in front of the house. In December. With the temperature in the high 30s. I don't think that fuzziness is really enough to keep it warm.

 Photobombed by a springtail.


 I find that most springtails look more like cartoon characters than actual living beings.

Rove beetle (found at the bottom of the back porch steps. Today's bugs were all stairs-adjacent).

No comments:

Post a Comment