Monday, August 20, 2018

Flying Caterpillars

Today was an off day.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 White hickory tussock moth caterpillar. These are all over the backyard right now, as they tend to be around this time of year. I chose it for Backyard Bug of the Day because I watched this one descend on its silk thread from waaaaaaaay up in a tree, and I enjoyed watching it. Since I couldn't really see the thread, it looked like the caterpillar was dancing on the air, especially when the wind blew it around. It was very funny.


Other Bugs:
 These tiny caterpillars are moving in a group from leaf to leaf on the vine where they hatched. On each successive leaf they build this silk tent around the leaf.

 Sweat bee. (The yellow blob at the top of the picture is a spider).

 I thought this was a swamp milkweed beetle, but it's not.

 Assassin bug with prey

 Dragonfly

 Katydid, female

 I often wonder how self-aware insects are. Does this leaf hopper know how well it blends in here, or was it a happy accident?

 
 Closer look


The goldenrod is now the most popular flower in the backyard:
Two bumblebees and a beetle

 Back to the piggy-back pose. I wonder if the male gets to eat during this long courtship? They have been together for at least a week, I think. The ambush bugs are not there because they like the goldenrod, they are there to catch the other things that feed on the goldenrod.

Careful, bee.


 I was right, that caterpillar yesterday was in the process of becoming a chrysalis (the one on the right). The other one did not look like it was in that phase yesterday.



 Tough bug.

 More loopers, on butter and eggs.

 This is what they did when I touched their flower's stem.






No comments:

Post a Comment