Saturday, August 25, 2018

Hide and Seek

People have been talking about the coming change in the leaves, and they are looking forward to it, but not me. I am still in love with how green everything is.
Backyard Bug of the Day:

There were a few Orthoptera that to me were conspicuously absent the other day when I posted all of those katydids, grasshoppers, and crickets. Things that I know are out there in my backyard, some of which I even saw that day but did not get pictures of. Today I saw quite a few of those:
Tree cricket

Tree cricket. Funny that I didn't see any the other day when there were so many other Orthoptera around, because they were everywhere today.

Katydid. I even knew where to look for these the other day, I just couldn't get one to let me take its picture. This one was slightly less camera shy today...


Grasshopper

The rock garden was really hopping (sorry, had to say it) with young grasshoppers today. You can tell these are immature because they don't have fully developed wings yet. Also, they are small, but you can't really tell that from the picture, for one of them, anyway.

More crickets... there are two of them in this clump of dried leaves. One of them you can see in the picture, but can you see the evidence that there is another one there?

Female.

 Also female.

Other Bugs:
It's hard to see, but this caterpillar is a few lines of silk that are pulling the leaf in a bit.

Wasp on autumn joy sedum


I didn't see the insect when I took the picture, I was just trying to take a shot of the flower. Do you see it?

I haven't looked up the name of this beetle in all these years because I think it would be disappointing to find out it has a boring, prosaic name when it is so beautiful.

Even though I look for them on my milkweed plants every day, I am still amazed that suddenly a monarch caterpillar appears almost out of the blue. This one was a real shocker–it's very close to full grown, and I can't help but wonder how it could go unnoticed, but what I did notice is that the plant I found it on has no caterpillar damage except the end of this leaf it is on. There is no frass on the plant, either. There is no way this caterpillar has been feeding there for weeks, it has to have been on a different plant and just arrived on this one today. Of course, I didn't notice it on whatever other plant it was on, either.

 I found another one, a bit smaller, among the leaves of another plant.

Meanwhile, this hatchling really looks like a monarch now. And the other hatchling is missing, which is confusing because they were in a closed container.

Caterpillar with parasitic wasp pupa attached.

Hairstreak butterfly of some kind.

When it rubbed its wings I could see how purply/blue the dorsal side was.

Double toothed prominent

I have never been able to find out what these larvae are, and frankly, they just look like a nightmare to me.
 Immature stink bug

 Hm. I probably should have made this Backyard Bug of the Day, because this might be a new species for me. I have seen a lot of similar bugs, but this doesn't seem familiar.

 It looks like the caterpillars in the silk tent are probably fall webworms. Which makes sense for the time of year... maybe. Except it's not fall yet.


There are several small trees in my backyard that I have noticed since I got back from my trip have been basically destroyed by sawfly larvae. Not good. They will probably recover, but it's still annoying.


This is a view I don't often get of leaf hoppers.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
So many of these spiders around now:



No comments:

Post a Comment