Friday, August 24, 2018

Almost Autumn

We're more than two months removed from the summer solstice, getting close to the beginning of autumn, and I am only just noticing how early it gets dark now. And how much earlier I have to go out for my bug walk so I can still see.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
I don't know what kind of wasp this is, but it's pretty.

Other Bugs:
 The newly hatched monarch caterpillars are starting to look like monarch caterpillars.


 Beetle larva. A garden pest eating a weed. Works for me.

 Fall webworm caterpillar

 Tree louse with mite parasites

 Wasp. I don't think I have ever seen one with its wings splayed that way, but I don't know if it's normal for whatever this species is, or if there's something wrong with it.

 Assassin bug nymph

 I think this is a double-toothed prominent caterpillar.

 Milkweed tussock moth caterpillar. This is the biggest one I have ever seen, not that you can tell that from a picture.

 Green lacewing on the screen door

 Thick headed fly

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
 Suddenly these spiders are everywhere. They are among the best to photograph because they sit right out in the open on plants, not on webs that move constantly in the tiniest breeze. And they don't seem to care when I get close to them with my camera.


It looks similar here, but this is a different, less cooperative species of spider.

Flower crab spider

No comments:

Post a Comment