Sunday, September 3, 2017

Remnants

It rained today, the remnants of Harvey, and he was completely unrecognizable from what he was a week ago. All of the fury and power was gone–it wasn't even breezy. Just a little rain. The only reason to connect it to the hurricane that caused so much devastation is because that's what the forecast said, that we would be getting rain from the remnants of Harvey. We didn't even get that much rain, just enough to make it difficult for me to go outside to look for bugs. Just when I thought I was clear, because the sun peeked out and the rain stopped, I ended up running for the house with my camera under my shirt in a downpour. I was able to get out again later, but it was getting dark, and especially with the way my camera is misbehaving, it wasn't worth going around the whole backyard.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Cricket

Today's butterfly, another male:
 This is the only one of the butterflies, I think, to spread its wings fully like that. The others opened them to the side, but never flared them upward. I know that's not a good explanation, but it was noteworthy to me. Also noteworthy is that it didn't eclose until almost 4:00 in the afternoon. As the afternoon wore on without him emerging I began to wonder if it was due to the darkness of the day. With such gloomy skies it was quite dark in the dining room so I thought that perhaps the butterfly didn't know it was daytime, meaning that it didn't have light clues to respond to. So, I turned on the lights. Eventually it broke out, but I have no way of knowing if turning on the lights caused that.


There will be two eclosures tomorrow.

Other Bugs:
 Plant hopper

 Caterpillar that appears to be dead.

 White hickory tussock moth caterpillar dining on a leaf.

 Hopper nymph

 Cranefly. Like I said, it was pretty dark out this afternoon.

 Weevil

 Tree cricket

 Tree cricket

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

 Flower crab spider

Yet another species for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment