Tuesday, September 19, 2017

No Rest For the Weary

I don't want to complain, but I thought I was going to get a day off today. We were supposed to have heavy rains all day because of tropical storm Jose passing to the east of us, but all we got was an occasional drizzly moment.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I am pretty sure this is some kind of camel cricket. I am also pretty sure, though I didn't realize it at first, that it was dead. I don't like to take pictures of dead bugs, and certainly don't make them BBotD, but this is a pretty cool bug, and it's the only new thing I saw today. I have seen camel crickets in my yard before, but I think this one is a new species for me.


Backyard Bird of the Day:
 There was one mourning dove in the garden today, and I decided that I would make it Backyard Bird of the Day for sitting still for me to take a picture. It was pretty small, and it's markings look different than usual, so I think it might be a juvenile.

 Of course it eventually took off, because I am so terrifying, but it sat in the tree for a while, even though I was still hanging around.

It was raining a little when I woke up today, and had dwindled to drizzling by the time I went out to get the mail today, but I figured it would be precipitating all day, and I wouldn't be able to go out and look for bugs. But as I walked down the front walk this flew right in front of me and landed in the rock garden:
 I went in to get my camera, and by the time I got out there, the drizzling had stopped. So I got some nice pictures of this very cooperative dragonfly.


 

The world's laziest caterpillar has a new neighbor.
 
 Or perhaps I should say roommate.


 The goldenrod is still hopping. (Shhh... don't tell the arachnophobes that there is a spider in this picture).

 Tiny caterpillar

 Even when I am not trying to take pictures of bugs I end up with pictures of bugs.

 Stinkbug

 The prominent caterpillar is blending in pretty well today.


 The ubiquitous fall webworms

 Moth

 The Last Caterpillar has gone into J shape, and will chrysalize tomorrow, when there will also be an eclosure of the penultimate butterfly.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Spined micrathena



Flower crab spider

No comments:

Post a Comment