Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Bugs Between Bouts

I have a headache and can't think, and looking at the pictures on my computer is making my eyes hurt, so I'm just going to tough it out and go right to the pictures without any raptures about nature today.

Wait, I have an announcement: I think I just fixed my camera. While I was waiting for the pictures to load to the blog. I am not going to explain how, because ultimately it will make me look like an idiot. But I think it's fixed. Too bad I didn't figure this out before I took all these pictures... for the last 2 weeks. Anyway, since I didn't get it fixed 2 weeks ago, or before today's bug walk, I don't have a lot of pictures today because it was really dark, and also, I just didn't find many bugs. I was out there between bouts of rain, so maybe they were all hiding from the weather, like any sensible creature would do.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I am not 100% sure this has not been Backyard Bug of the Day so far this year; it's not at all an uncommon bug in my backyard, and I know it has at least been BBotD at times other summers. But I really don't have a good choice for BBotD today, so... here it is. Cool moth.

Backyard Amphibian of the Day:
 Since these pictures don't give you a sense of scale at all I will tell you that this is a pretty small frog, maybe about an inch from snout to rump.

 Not fond of me or my camera.

Other Bugs:
 Among the many insects that are enjoying those flowers blooming with wild abandon have been ants.

 Sharpshooter on the leaf of one of those plants (I wish I knew the name of it).

 I think what we have here are three adults and one nymph of whatever kind of hopper these are.

I predict that tomorrow this lady beetle larva will have become a pupa. I think it has anchored its back end to the leaf in preparation for pupation.

Mom, scroll really fast through the next two photos...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Fall webworm moths; more of them emerged from the silk tent today. I am sure I don't have to tell you what those green blobs are.


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Jumping spider

Not a spider, but spider related:
I spotted this in the middle of a spiderweb. A sweat bee all mushed up into a ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment