Thursday, May 6, 2021

Will I, or Won't I?

 I'm currently debating with myself about whether I want to post a blog tonight. Or rather, I am debating whether or not I want to write a blog tonight. No, whether I want to spend the time loading pictures for a blog.

My instinct is no.

And yet...

 Bees on flowering crab apple. You can see that a lot of the flowers have lost their petals as the tree is past peak bloom.

Click beetle and snow flea

Lots of ant activity today:

There are a lot of little earthworms on the front walk, possibly because of the three days of rain we just had, and the ants are happy to drag them away.

On leafy spurge

On an apple that someone tossed by the curb in the cul-de-sac.

The vast majority of the bugs I saw today were around the cul-de-sac, where there is a huge patch of garlic mustard in bloom. There are a lot of flowers blooming in my backyard, the most dandelions I have ever had in the yard, violets, and (unfortunately) other patches of the invasive garlic mustard, but those flowers were almost completely devoid of insects. In the cul-de-sac, however, the garlic mustard attracted bees, flies, butterflies, and who knows what else. Most of them were not photographable, for various reasons, but I got a few:

Bee
 
Hover fly doing an excellent job of looking like a bee

The big one is a bee, I think the small one, which I did not see when I took the picture, might be a tiny wasp.

Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.





No comments:

Post a Comment