Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Time Shortage

 I wanted to bring my camera with me when I went for my woods walk today, but I only had an hour for a walk, and a walk with my camera takes two. I regretted not bringing it, of course, as I saw some cool bugs–including a semi-cooperative butterfly–an enormous spider, a turkey, and an interesting frog. All I had was my phone, so I got pictures like this:

That's the frog. It is underwater in the stream.

I got an okay one for Backyard Bug of the Day:

This is either a viceroy or a red spotted purple caterpillar. Even when I look up how to tell the difference between them I always end up confused. They are very similar, which is interesting because the two butterfly species don't look similar at all, other than maybe wing shape. If I knew what kind of tree this was (which I don't) I might be able to identify the caterpillar by looking up host plants, but the two species have some overlap in their host plant preferences, so probably not. This caterpillar looks like it's pretty close to time to pupate.



No comments:

Post a Comment