Friday, May 22, 2020

Living the Bug Life

It's always more fun for me to find a bug that is doing something other than just sitting on a leaf or flying around. I like to observe the interesting details of their lives. That is partly how I chose today's Backyard Bug of the Day, not just because it's a cool looking insect that I got close enough to for a decent shot, but because it was doing something interesting.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a yellow jacket. I know people hate them, but mostly I find if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.



 This one was scraping wood off an old patio umbrella frame to build a nest. You can see where it has scraped the wood, and there's a bit sticking out from the side of its face.

Other Bugs:
 Stinkbug walking on a window. Note the jabbing mouthpiece that is folded against the middle of its body. Also note all of the pollen on the window.

Hover flies flying tandem

Weevil on sassafras leaf:


After my bug walk I sat on the back porch steps for a while, and a few butterflies flitted by. One chose to hang around a little bit, flying around in front of me, sometimes landing on the ground too far away for me to get good pictures of it. Not that I didn't try...
It was a spring azure. I think it's a female.


Like I said, not close enough for good pictures...


Even farther away. It's on the edge of the rock, pretty much in the middle of the picture.

Flying away again... I know these are terrible pictures. I thought they were kind of funny, though. I have a rule: Don't Chase the Butterflies. It's never worth it. If I had gotten up off the steps to try to get closer for a picture, I would have no pictures at all, because it would have flown away.

I haven't seen a lot of spiders the last few days, but I got several today:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.





















No comments:

Post a Comment