Saturday, August 17, 2019

Proportions

The proportion of today's bugs that are caterpillars is much lower than recent days, and I even have a non-caterpillar for Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Swamp milkweed beetle

 It toppled over while trying to escape the camera, so I got a good shot of the underside of the beetle.

 Speaking of which, there was another beetle, a weevil, on the storm door last night, and I got a good shot at the underside of that one, too.

Other Bugs:
 I found another small monarch caterpillar

 The double-toothed prominent is eating leaves at a rapid pace.

 I wonder what built this shelter...

I didn't find a lot of caterpillars, but I found a couple of cocoons:
 This one was on the remnants of the Queen Anne's lace flower head where the black swallowtail caterpillars used to be. This is not a black swallowtail cocoon, however. There were several small loopers on this plant, too, and so I think this must be one of them.

I have no idea what this cocoon holds.

 Stinkbug nymph

 Ant with its flock of hopper nymphs


 Hopper

This plant was an interesting find:
 Two brown hooded owlet moth caterpillars, of different instars, and a whole lot of something else...

 ... which when I looked closely I realized were tree lice.


This brown hooded owlet moth caterpillar was on a nearby plant.

 Sawfly, I think.

 I saw this weed growing in the cracks of the front walk and was going to grab it to pull it out, when I noticed that there were ants all around it on the walk... and all over the plant:

 There were also several winged ants. Getting ready to head out to form new colonies?

 Plant bug

 Even I am impressed with my bug-spotting abilities for finding this katydid.

 This one was much easier to see. My husband spotted it on the storm door, lit up by the back porch light.

 I haven't been seeing many spiders lately, so I am happy to have a few for Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 I would normally be excited to find an eastern tiger swallowtail caterpillar, but this one is not going to be turning into a butterfly. Still, I guess I am happy for the spider.



No comments:

Post a Comment