Sunday, August 11, 2019

Counting Caterpillars

I just counted them up, and found that I saw more than a dozen different species of caterpillars in the last week. I am not sure the exact number, because it's hard to tell with the loopers, particularly when they are different sizes, but even if I counted all of the loopers as one I think I saw more than twelve kinds of caterpillars. This is definitely the "growing" season for a lot of Lepidoptera.

So, it will probably not be a surprise that I chose another caterpillar for Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Double toothed prominent caterpillar. I was looking for yesterday's Backyard Bug of the Day to look at again when I found the prominent on the same plant.

 I did find yesterday's BBotD, too.

I found an adult of the question mark butterfly today, too. This is what yesterday's BBotD will grow up to be.

Some time last week I posted a picture of a moth laying eggs on a milkweed plant. Today, the eggs hatched:
 I thought that maybe the moth was a milkweed tussock moth, but I looked it up, and it was the wrong color. So I don't know what they are...

 ... and at this stage it's pretty impossible to identify a caterpillar. But they do look like milkweed tussock moth caterpillars at this stage.



Okay, this next picture is gross, so feel free to scroll past it really fast...
 Yes, that is what you think it is. But in the bug class I am taking online I learned about various dung feeders, so this was interesting to me, sorry to have to admit.

 Katydid

 Wasp

 Primrose moth inside a primrose flower, assassin bug nymph walking around on the outside.

 Tumbling flower beetle on goldenrod


Another black swallowtail has wandered off to a plant stem of its own:
 


 Can you spot the looper caterpillar in there?



A couple of dragonflies:

 

Sawfly larvae:

 

 Thick-headed fly on goldenrod

The ants are still making it difficult to take pictures of these hopper nymphs:

 


 Milkweed tussock moth caterpillar

Jagged ambush bug with sweat bee prey

No comments:

Post a Comment