Friday, February 8, 2019

Back To My Usual Tricks

You know what I haven't much lately? Post a Backyard Bug of the Day. Because I see the same bugs every day, and have been seeing those same bugs for a couple of months, I haven't really had a good bug to choose for BBotD. The point of that is to have a different bug every day. Granted, I rarely have the opportunity to post something really new anymore, but I do still try to choose a particular species only once a year. But now that I am blogging in the winter, I am not really sure where a year begins and ends, bug-wise? Do I go by calendar year? Seasons? I don't know. But there are only a handful of species that I see nowadays, so I haven't made anything BBotD for a while.

But today I have one for you. Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Some kind of plant bug. Definitely not what I have been seeing lately.

It turns out that I didn't have to wait very long for the snow drops to bloom:

Today started out rainy, but the sun came out, and it was a mild day, so a good day for winter fireflies to bask on their favorite tree:


 I have been checking this rock lately for snow fleas, because I found them there last year, and finally today they were there.

 Only one candy striped leaf hopper came out today.

 Today was just the kind of weather for bugs who like dampness and don't like the cold, like this sow bug.

I've been on the lookout for winter ants with the warmer weather this week, and finally found one.

The cold is coming back tomorrow. In fact, I can hear it coming now, carried in by a gale.

No comments:

Post a Comment