Sunday, August 27, 2017

A Rush Job

It has been said that packing a suitcase is a task that takes the amount of time you have to devote to it. If you have a week to pack a suitcase, it takes a week to pack. If you have twenty minutes to pack a suitcase, it takes twenty minutes. Doing my bug walk is sort of the same, in that whatever amount of time I have to look for bugs is how long it takes to look for bugs. However, like packing a suitcase in a hurry, I am apt to miss things. Unlike the suitcase scenario, though, in which you could arrive at your destination and discover that you have no socks to wear for a week, I never know what I have missed; I just didn't see it. I do see, however, how small a number of bugs I have found.

All of this is to say, I didn't have a lot of time to look for bugs today.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Stinkbug

There was another monarch eclosure today:
 Another female. There won't be one tomorrow, but there will be a couple more chrysalides.

Other Bugs:
 Some kind of tent caterpillars. They were too high up in the tree for me to get a good look at them, or a good shot of them.

 The Backyard Bug of the Day caterpillar from a couple of days ago molted.

 The goldenrod are in bloom, which means they are now an excellent hangout for jagged ambush bugs, because there are always a lot of bugs feeding on them.

 Tiny wasp

 The bigger of the two viceroy caterpillars has suddenly grown quite a bit.

 Recently I posted a picture of a rather numerous clutch of lady beetle eggs. Well, they have hatched.


 Caterpillar



 Sawfly larva

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I don't think the moth sees the spider, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment