Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Solace In Beautiful Things

It's been a long day, and I have weighty issues on my mind, so let's just enjoy looking at the beautiful things, shall we? And by beautiful things, I mean bugs.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Moth

Random Bugs:
 Another moth

 Tree cricket

There were a lot of small milkweed bugs around today:
 Not all of them were on milkweed. Here's a nymph on goldenrod.

 Nymphs in various stages of development on a milkweed seed pod.

 Adult


This is similar to two bugs I have seen lately; one of yesterday's Backyard Bugs of the Day, and a bug I saw last week. In size it's similar to yesterday's, and in color and body shape it's more like the one last week. I guess it's probably a different species...

 It does have the same fringed legs as the one last week, though. Maybe one was male and the other female?


My current caterpillar obsession:
 

 

 

Here's the state of the monarch chrysalis as of this morning:
 
 I think it might eclose tomorrow, or at the latest the day after. I won't be there to see it, though, because I have had to leave my backyard to travel again. As this creature is emerging into a new life, I will be celebrating the soul of my grandfather making a similar transition.

There will be no blog tomorrow, or probably the next day.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Jumping spider












No comments:

Post a Comment