Thursday, August 18, 2016

Double

I went on two bug walks today, one in the morning when I didn't have a lot of time, and one in the early evening when I got home and realized that there was still plenty of daylight to add to my sightings today. I am currently fighting to stay awake - if there's anything really weird written in today's blog, you can chalk it up to my zombie state.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Green lacewing. Found on my second bug walk, justifying the effort. Not that it needed justification - it was a beautiful evening.

Random Bugs:
 The goldenrod is still popular.


 Sharing

 I think this is a harlequin bug.


 


 Leaf hopper


 Assassin bug

Just yesterday I was thinking how strange and sad it is that I haven't seen any buffalo leaf hoppers around, and here's two of them.


 Leaf hopper of some kind




 White Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillar


 Wasp. I can't remember what kind it is, but I know it is parasitic on bees.  Correction: This is a thick-headed fly.

 How many furcula caterpillars can you see?

 Assassin bug?

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Sometimes it's hard to tell which is a spider, and which is debris left hanging in the web. That is the spider in the center-ish of the picture. And I know it's alive, because it scurried off.

No comments:

Post a Comment