Friday, July 15, 2016

The Beetles

Today had all the elements aligned for a bad bug walk: hot, gross weather, rain, a late start (dusk was approaching when I finally had a chance to go out), which meant lack of time and low light... But it was a pretty good bug walk after all. I didn't find a lot of bugs, but it wasn't just the usual suspects. And I have 2 bugs for Backyard Bug of the Day, one of them at least being a new species for me, so that right there makes it a good bug walk. I had a pretty rough day, and a rougher week, so it was nice that the bugs were able to cheer me up.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
 Both of today's Backyard Co-Bugs of the Day are longhorn beetles, but they are visually quite different from each other. I found this one on the side of a tree during my bug walk. I almost didn't bother to look closely at it because I thought it was something else (I forget what I thought it was), and the light was so poor in the woods that it didn't seem worth it. But it was, because I am pretty sure I have never seen this bug before. Someone on that bug group I follow on facebook posted the same kind of bug today, and someone else told them what it was, so I know it is a Astylopsis macula. That's all I know about it, though.


Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
 I did not find this on my bug walk, I found it on the wall of the front porch late in the evening when we were on our way out to get some dinner. The light had only been on for a couple of minutes when it showed up. I don't know the species of this one, but I am sure it is a longhorn beetle, because it looks like the other longhorn beetles. And it has really long antennae (not horns).


 
 Here's a sense of scale for you. Quite a large beetle.

Random Bugs:
 I am not sure this candy striped leaf hopper understands how camouflage works.

 This could have been a candidate for BBotD if I had been able to get a better picture.


 I don't think I was aware that sow bugs are predators.

 Red milkweed beetle. I guess this milkweed is going to be a late bloomer. Better late than never, I say.

 Springtail

 
 Some sort of Hemiptera

 The picture doesn't show it well, but its proboscis was stuck into the tree, presumably sucking sap. I am impressed that that tiny proboscis is strong enough to penetrate bark, even bark like this tree (which is quite smooth. Not that that means much, I suppose. But I think it's pretty thin).

 I think this is a bristletail.

 Two bugs - bristletail and springtail.


 
 I'm giving you several views because it was not exceptionally cooperative, and it was hard to get the whole thing in focus.

 Assassin bug nymph

Arachnid Appreciation:.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I know it looks like it's smiling, but those are all eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment