Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Sometimes You Just Want To Take A Nap

I admit, sometimes I don't enjoy my bug walks. If I am stressed out when I go outside, and I don't have success in finding bugs and taking good pictures, I just get frustrated. And if it's muggy, and there are mosquitoes trying to bite me, it's just not enjoyable. Today was one of those days when I just couldn't take my usual joy from my backyard, and just wanted to get finished with what I was doing and go inside to take a nap. Sometimes when I have one of those frustrating walks something will happen toward the end to make it all worth it, like finding something I have never seen before, or finding a butterfly that is really cooperative that lets me take a lot of excellent pictures of it. That almost happened today... but it didn't. I did find a new bug - a butterfly, in fact - but I didn't get any good pictures of it. It was on the roof of the house, and though my roof comes down low, it was too high above my head to get a good picture. The butterfly just sat there, though, very compliantly, and so I thought I would try something outrageous. I put my hand in front of it, just barely touching it, and the butterfly started to climb onto my hand. I couldn't believe it was working! I was going to be able to take a nice, closeup picture of the butterfly! But, as often is the case when something seems too good to be true, it was. The butterfly flew away before I could even move my hand an inch.

Oh well. I do have a bad picture of a new species of butterfly to share with you.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 This is not in my butterfly book, but it looks similar to the duskywing that is in there, so it could be a species of that.

One of the gypsy moths has eclosed (which means emerged from its chrysalis).
 This is a female.

Random Bugs:
 Odd angle of a Japanese beetle

 Stink bug nymph

 Moth

 I think this is a dagger moth.

 Moth

 I think this is a weevil. It looks like it is wearing a Groucho Marx mustache.

Four lined leaf bug

Assassin bug nymph. It was not alone on this plant...

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
See the out-of-focus assassin bug nymph on the flower? This plant would be a dangerous place for a bug to land...

Closer look at the spider

Crab spider

No comments:

Post a Comment