Saturday, September 20, 2014

Bugs at Dusk

I'd like to start out by saying that it was cloudy today, and yet significantly warmer than yesterday, a day that was sunny. So.

Also, remember when I mentioned pareidolia? Here's some for you:
Clearly this leaf feels the same way I do about the end of summer.

I ended up doing my bug walk as dusk was approaching, because when I went out to do it in the early afternoon I discovered that my camera battery was dead. It takes hours to charge (I don't have a backup yet), so I had to wait until later when we got back from running errands. It is harder to find bugs when you can't really see, but the usual bugs were around, in the usual (more or less) places.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Crane fly.

Here you can see better how long its legs are.

Random Bugs:
 I don't get this view of leaf hoppers very often.


 Using the proboscis to suck juice from a dogwood berry. I think this is a stink bug, but I didn't get a look at the other side.



 I am not sure if I have mentioned this, but the first time I saw one of these for some reason I assumed it fed on plants. Maybe because it was green. (Just kidding. That's not why I thought that). Then I found one one day sucking the life out of another bug. The look so much more sinister now...



False eyes on the backside of the saddleback caterpillar.


 Female adult snowy tree cricket. In a tree.

Apparently That Tree is Hemiptera Headquarters.
 There are three here, and another up the trunk out of view...

And two more farther down. This one...


... And this one:

All small spiders today in Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.





No comments:

Post a Comment