Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Love in the Springtime

 I'm not feeling well, and I need to go to bed. I'm just going to post the BBotD and give in to my exhaustion... It's a new day, and I don't feel as horrible as I did last night, so I'm going to finish this post with the rest of the pictures from the walk. I took my camera out with the wide-angle/zoom lens because I wanted to take pictures of how the woods are looking in spring, and figured that that meant I would see a million cool bugs, because I would be out without the best lens for taking pictures of them. For a while that turned out not to be true... but I did find a few.

Anyway, here's how the woods look in spring:

I'm not sure it mattered that I didn't have the macro lens on my camera for Backyard Bug of the Day, because I wasn't able to get close to it anyway.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Red admiral butterfly. I saw lots of these today, including what appeared to be two courting pairs.


 They weren't actively mating, but they were flying around together, and resting together.

 

They kept landing near me with their wings open, and then a second later snapped them up, so I had a very hard time getting a picture of this side, or even seeing it well enough to identify it. I saw them multiple times in this one area (my walk brought me back there are few times), but also in other parts of the woods. Most of my bug pictures are of these today.

 Other Bugs:




It wasn't an especially warm day, but it was warm enough to see a few frogs in the big pond–and hear them: this one was croaking.

Quiet...

Ribbit! Notice that you can see more of its throat, and there are ripples in the water, the vibrations of its call.


Backyard Bird of the Day:

Nuthatch

Well, good night. If I feel better tomorrow, I might finish this post...

1 comment: