Sunday, March 31, 2024

Purple Carpet of Spring

 Spring is in full swing as far as the flowers in the rock garden are concerned, although not much else is in complete agreement. The bugs I expect to find in the rock garden during this season are certainly not; with a carpet of purple flowers there's usually a symphony of buzzing wings as a soundtrack when you walk by, but insects have been scarce again this year, which continues to worry me. I saw my first bumblebee of the season yesterday, and today happened to find another for Backyard Bug of the Day:

When I got home from Easter mass this morning I spotted a butterfly and a bumblebee in the rock garden, and while they both flew off before I could even attempt to take a picture with my phone, I went inside and got my camera and after waiting patiently for a couple of minutes a bumblebee came back (I have no way of knowing if it was the same one).

I didn't have a lot of time for a walk in the woods today, but I took my camera out with me anyway, in the hopes of seeing some bugs–well, in the hopes of seeing a mourning cloak butterfly, to be honest. I didn't, although I did catch a glimpse from afar of another butterfly. I was nowhere near close enough to identify it, but if could have been a comma or question mark, which are also the two possible ids of the one I saw in the rock garden this morning.

I actually didn't see many bugs on my walk, other than gnats, which I wasn't able to photograph. But I unwittingly took photos of a couple of them that I didn't see at the time:

Do you see the bugs?


From the red visible inside these bugs' bodies, I think these flies were biting this frog and feeding on its blood.



I didn't notice any of these bugs when I was taking the pictures of the frogs.

The frogs were at the small pond, where there are still no salamander egg masses–sadly, it is beginning to look like I was right last year when I prophesied that there would not be eggs there anymore if no salamanders hatched there last year. However, I have spotted a couple more egg masses in the big pond:

The macro lens is not a great tool for a shot like this, but that's what I had with me today.

Another interesting sign of spring is clumps of hair that I am pretty sure are from deer shedding their heavier winter coats. 

Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.



I almost walked right into this tiny spider's tiny web:


We seem to have figured out where the snakes hang out–or at least, these two snakes, which we have spotted several times this week in the same location:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.




It's hard to tell, but this one is wet; it had obviously been in the water. I was surprised last year when I saw a garter snake in the stream, and in spite of the fact that I saw that, I was surprised a few days ago when I got too close to one and it zipped into the water.






2 comments:

  1. Love the snake photos. Hard to capture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These snakes were pretty chill. Or rather, they were probably pretty chilled.

    ReplyDelete