Monday, May 9, 2022

Beetle Beauty

 I didn't have a chance to do a bug walk today, but one of my favorite bugs, one which I have been looking for for weeks, happened to be on the steps on the way to the mailbox today. It flew away when I approached, but landed a little further on, so I went in and got my camera. It's a tricky insect to photograph, rarely cooperative, and with the state of my knee I knew it would be impossible to get down to its level, so I took its picture with my zoom lens (which is what was on the camera) instead of the macro. I didn't have to get close this way, or kneel down on stone stairs. As it is, I didn't get as close as I would have liked–like I said, it's not a cooperative insect. If I couldn't get close enough for the shot with a zoom lens, imagine trying to get close enough with a macro. As a species, though, it's beautiful and I love the quirky, belligerent personalities of these beetles. Fortunately I have never experienced it, but I have heard they can give you a pretty nasty bite, too.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Six-spotted tiger beetle


No comments:

Post a Comment