Wednesday, July 17, 2019

July Being July

For today's bug walk I had to wait for the temperature to come down to a reasonable level, and then time it between thunderstorms. For whatever reason, even though I was able to cover all of the usual territory, I didn't find a lot of bugs today. Maybe they were doing the same things I was, avoiding the heat and the rain.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
 Some kind of treehopper

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
 Moth




Other Bugs:
 Looper caterpillar making a black-eyed Susan smile.

 Leaf-footed bug nymph

 Katydid nymph on day lily

 I hardly ever see insects on the day lilies for some reason, but this one was crowded: two katydid nymphs and a beetle.

A couple of lady beetle larvae:


I found this caterpillar dangling from a tree:
 It was working its way back up its silk thread. The white thing is the silk it has gathered up as it makes its way up.


 I think this is a male gypsy moth.

 I haven't been able to find the monarch caterpillar for a couple of days, and today I finally found it, on the plant next to the one where it had been. It's not looking so good.

 The chrysalis I found the other day has lost its green color.

 Grasshopper nymph

 The lacewing eggs I found a few days ago have changed color; instead of pearly white they are now gray, as the larvae inside develop the color changes.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment