Sunday, June 16, 2019

Popular Flowers

The most popular flower in my backyard right now is daisy fleabane. There's not a lot of competition right now, but whereas the dame's rocket and the multiflora rose don't seem to be attracting any insect attention, the daisy fleabane is the flower of choice for quite a few insects.

Like today's Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Tarnished plant bug

Other fans of daisy fleabane:
 Some other kind of plant bug nymph

 Hover fly

 Sweat bee and ant

This was not on the flowers, but it was on the leaf of a daisy fleabane plant. It appears to be some kind of beetle.

No fleas on the fleabane, but I guess I wouldn't expect to find them there.

The bunny was back in the same spot today:
 It has been there a lot the last couple of days, and doesn't run off when we get close. I wonder if this is a female and she has a nest of babies nearby.

Today was dark and gloomy, with rain threatening, and I didn't have a lot of time for a bug walk, so I didn't find a lot of bugs. But here are the rest of today's insects:
 Bittersweet is an invasive plant that I am always fighting to be rid of, but at the moment it is at least well appreciated by whatever these little hopper nymphs are. I have found several vines with these on them, all over the backyard. They are so tiny that you wouldn't notice them if you weren't looking for them, or if you did see them, they would look like just bits of fluff that you would not know were insects if you didn't already know they were insects.

 I am beginning to think these are different instars of the same species, because they are always found together. They are not in my bug books, however, at least, not in their nymph stage, so I still don't know what they are.

 Wasp?

Caterpillar in red clover

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Why can't I remember the name of this spider?

 Nursery web spider

No comments:

Post a Comment