Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Night Light

Today it poured all day (4.5 inches when I checked late in the evening), so I couldn't do a bug walk, and there were just a few tiny gnats and moths attracted to the porch light, but when I was walking up the driveway after bringing the trash can out to the curb I saw a tiny glimmer of light on the driveway. I couldn't be sure I was seeing something notable, it could have just been a glimmer from the porch light reflecting off the wet gravel of the driveway, but I paused, and waited, and there came the glow again, faint, green, and unmistakable that time. I kept an eye on the spot, and my husband went inside to get my camera. I had to shield the camera with my body because it was raining, and I didn't manage to get a picture of the glow, because it was very faint, but using my ring flash I did manage to get a couple of pictures.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Firefly larva. Funny thing is, this is only the second time I have seen this, a firefly larva lighting up at night, and the last time was a couple of years ago, but probably within a couple of feet of the spot where I saw this one.

I flipped it over to see if it would light up, but it didn't, not until I turned off the light and it flipped back over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment