Saturday, January 20, 2018

Melting and Flowing

We enjoyed another January thaw today, and in my case I mean I enjoyed literally watching the snow melt. It's very soothing. I could hear the water seeping into the ground. It was a gorgeous day. People who live in places where the weather is more or less the same all the time can't possibly understand how exhilarating it is to experience changes like this.

The sap was flowing in the woodpecker holes in the trees:

I had hoped that with the warmth (almost 50ºF) and the sunshine there would be a lot of bugs around, but not really.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 An ant. It moved very slowly and sluggishly. In this shot it is walking on ice in a puddle (a puddle that was woefully lacking in springtails, I might add).



 Another ant, different species, on a tree.

I saw a couple of these Hemiptera:

 

 
 And some kind of Hemiptera nymph.

And one winter firefly.

The next few days are also supposed to be warm, so maybe more bugs will come out.




No comments:

Post a Comment