Sunday, June 18, 2017

Easy

One of the greatest things that can happen on my bug walks is finding a good bug to be Backyard Bug of the Day within steps of the back porch, so then I know even if I don't find anything else, I'm set for the day. That's especially good on a day when rain is threatening and I don't know if I am going to have time to finish my search.

As you might guess, today I found a bug for Backyard Bug of the Day just after I stepped outside.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Rove beetle

Now, I wouldn't normally post this next thing, mostly because I normally wouldn't take a picture of it, but this is an amazing specimen, so I couldn't help myself. I present... Backyard Slug of the Day:
 This thing is about the size of my thumb. Actually, it's probably thicker than my thumb. And I thought the patterns on it were quite striking. But I can't stand slugs. Blech.

To make it up to you for the slug picture, how about Backyard Bunny of the Day:

Other Bugs:
 Moth

 Weevil

 Cockroach

 A pair of hoverflies

 A piece of watermelon rind that was extremely attractive to ants


 And on yesterday's topic of insectivorious insects, here's a robber fly with what I think is a cranefly as prey.

Tortoise beetle. They are more abundant this year than I have ever seen them, which is to say I have seen 3 or 4 so far this year. It's not an insect I see very often.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 When I first spotted this spider it was in the middle of a tussle with another spider. When they separated, the other one scurried under the bark of the tree, so I only go a picture of this one.

Flower crab spider.

I don't know what makes a spider decide to attack or not attack an insect as prey, but this beetle just sauntered right by unharmed.



No comments:

Post a Comment