Friday, March 13, 2015

Whatever

Sometimes effort is not rewarded. There's a life lesson for you. It's not one I learned today, because I am 46 1/2 years old, so I've been there before, but it describes my bug walk today.

Here's the Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I didn't find it in my backyard. I found it in the back hall of my house as I was putting on my boots to go out. I believe it is a Click Beetle. I don't know if it has spent the winter in the house, or if it came in while I had the back door open for a few minutes (there's a tiny gap at the corner of the screen door that bugs have some sort of genius for finding). I picked it up with a leaf that was on the floor by the door (I have no idea how leaves keep getting in here) and brought it outside, where I took this picture. It doesn't look alive, but it was moving, albeit sluggishly, so it was.

And that was it for the bugs today. It was a bit on the chilly side, but it was in the low 40s, acceptable bug weather. But no one was out there (though I did see two flies on the front porch when I went out to get the mail).

I did find a patch of bare ground.
 This is the only patch of bare ground in the yard that is not at the base of a tree trunk. I was surprised to find it, because in most of the yard the snow is still a foot deep at least; deeper in a lot of places. It made me smile, though, even with brown grass underneath.

 I found this cocoon, too. Hope for the future. (That tree looks like it is staring at me...)

All in all, not worth the walk for bugs' sake, but time spent outside is worth it for its own sake.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is the spider I caught last night - I took this picture before releasing it outside today. See how much more intimidating it is with its legs extended - or some of them extended, anyway? Now picture it skittering toward the couch you are sitting on. On second though, maybe you shouldn't picture that...

No comments:

Post a Comment