Thursday, January 8, 2015

It's Just Looking for Something to Read

As you know, I live near the woods, and in a place where there are a lot of bugs, so it's not all that surprising that we get bugs in the house. But sometimes I find a bug and have to ask, "How did you get in here?" Mind you, they never answer. And the emphasis in the question is on "you" because I have given up wondering how bugs get in here in general, I just wonder at the appearance of unusual specimens. Ladybugs, for instance, are not surprising to me in the winter. Wasps are not surprising to me in the winter (though we haven't had any so far this year). Spiders are never surprising.

This is surprising:
I think this might be a plume moth, but I am not sure, because it's a little bit different from the way the others I have seen look. But it is obviously related. Moths are a bit rare lately, even on the front porch, so I have to wonder where this came from. At any rate, not what I expected to see on my living room bookshelves. (Edit: I found another site about plume moths that had more pictures, and it appears that this is, indeed, a plume moth).

Nice to be able to find a cool bug without going outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment